Website Oakland Community College
SUMMARY OF PURPOSE: Responsible for the service, safety and security of all College properties, faculty, staff, student body, guests and visitors during the assigned tour of duty. This position is expected to work in a multi-cultural diverse working environment.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and responsibilities requested of the employee assigned this title. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required:
- Prevention and suppression of crime.
- Protection of life and property.
- Development, implementation and supervision of assigned areas of public safety specialties.
- Preservation of the peace.
- Enforcement of state statutes, approved ordinances and College regulatory matters.
- Apprehension and protection of offenders.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Ability to work additional hours, as needed.
1. Must be certified or certifiable through MCOLES.
2. Be a citizen of the United States.
3. Be a resident of the State of Michigan for one year.
4. Be a high school graduate, or equivalent, associate degree preferred.
5. Have passed their 18th birthday.
6. Have weight proportional to height.
7. Have at least 20/100 vision in each eye corrected to 20/20 vision, and have normal color vision and depth perception in both eyes.
8. Have normal hearing in each ear.
9. Have not been convicted of:
- A violation of criminal law.
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Three moving violations in the 24 months previous to application.
- Two or more times of reckless driving or once of reckless driving accompanied by aggravating circumstances.
10. In addition, all applicants must successfully complete all parts of the following qualifying examinations (not scored, except for “pass” or “fail”):
- A physical strength and agility test.
- A medical examination.
- A field investigation covering an evaluation of employment, school, home, medical, credit, criminal, driving or other personal records.
11. Possess a valid Michigan operator’s license.
12. Ability to work as a team player in a multi-cultural diverse working environment.
13. Experience with multi-cultural students and staff preferred.
The Public Safety Officer is commissioned as a Law Enforcement Officer and will have jurisdiction only on properties of Oakland Community College.