The Security Division of the Michigan Court of Appeals is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Lead Security Officer in Detroit. This positions provides armed security and ensures the safety for all Court of Appeals (COA) facilities, employees, and visitors. Reporting to the Security Director the primary responsibilities for this position include:
· Supervise contractual security employees and COA case call in District I. Interview candidates, make hire recommendations, evaluate performance, and assign staff to case call.
· Provide armed security and basic first aid response for the Court of Appeals and all who work in or visit COA facilities.
· Prepare monthly for oral arguments, assign contractual court security officers, and serve as court bailiff.
· Greet, monitor, and scan visitors using the metal detector and x-ray scanning device.
· Evaluate security risks and recommend appropriate action including summoning police or security officers for any necessary incident. Conduct and document complaint investigations.
· Provide security to COA judges at off-site locations. Serve as liaison with local law enforcement. Conduct security advances at all off-site locations.
· Conduct background investigations on contractual employees and coordinate facility maintenance with Department of Management and Budget.
· Interact and provide logistic support to the judges and judicial chambers assigned to District I.
· Serve as Judiciary liaison with parking facility representatives.
· Manage investigative complaint log for District I to ensure all incidents are properly documented, investigations conducted and resolved and filed based on the complaint status.
· Conduct bimonthly duress alarm testing and inspect the defibrillators on a semi-annual basis.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Associate’s degree or equivalent with courses in criminal justice, or a related field. Five or more years of experience as a police officer or related security experience providing knowledge of security systems and procedures. A minimum of two years of experience supervising employees. Concealed weapons permit and the ability to successfully complete a weapons proficiency program with annual certification based on Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement standards.
WORK LOCATION: Cadillac Place, 3020 W. Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI
TO APPLY: Please e-mail your cover letter, resume in Word or Adobe.pdf format, MCOLES Individual Employment History, and copy of concealed pistol license to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Lead Security Officer” in the subject line. If you are unable to e-mail applicant materials, please contact Judicial Human Resources (517) 373-1147 for assistance.
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 – 5:00 p.m.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER