The City of West Chicago (27,500) is a diverse, family-oriented community with a rich cultural mix and a proud heritage. It is the first Illinois community established by the railroads and continues to be a convenient transportation hub served by three major rail lines, one of Illinois’ busiest airports and three state highways. West Chicago offers excellent schools, a growing business park and convenient access to parks, shopping and restaurants. It is located 35 miles from the City of Chicago.
The City offers a full array of municipal services and operates under a Mayor-Council form of government. The community has a long history of stability and prides itself on a progressive, professional staff. The City seeks its next Chief of Police to lead a well-respected and professional Department.
The Chief of Police is appointed by the Mayor, with concurrence of the City Council, and reports to the City Administrator. The Department has an $11 million budget and 52 employees including 46 authorized sworn officers, including the Chief. The Department is divided into three Divisions: Office of the Chief of Police; Support Services Division; and Patrol Division.
The role of the Chief of Police is to plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the Police Department including crime prevention, patrol operations, criminal investigations, City and County-wide records management systems, administrative adjudication, ESDA and other law enforcement efforts; to coordinate assigned activities with other City Departments and outside agencies.
The Chief of Police provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Administrator. The Chief is an integral part of the City’s executive leadership team, collaborating with the other Department Directors and staff on interdepartmental issues.
Candidate Qualifications and Expected Experience
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experiences. Any combination of experience and training that would demonstrate the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in police science, public or business administration or a related field. Fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in municipal police work, including at least five years in an administrative capacity.
- Graduation from a senior police management and leadership program such as the Northwestern School of Police Staff and Command, the F.B.I. National Academy or the Southern Police Institute’s Command Officers Development Course.
- Experience in a mid-sized community of 35,000 to 75,000 residents is highly desirable.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid state driver’s license.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
Compensation and How to Apply
The salary range for the position is: $121,889 to $170,644 with excellent benefits. Residency in the City of West Chicago is not required. Interested candidates should apply online by April 5, 2021 with a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least five (5) professional references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Kathleen Rush, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 130, Northbrook, IL 60062.