Website Bartow Police Department
The City of Bartow, located between Tampa and Orlando just south of Lakeland (population approximately 20,757) covering 53 square miles with 40 being undeveloped rural area, is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Chief of Police.
This professional law enforcement position consists of responsible administrative and technical police work in the direction of personnel and activities of the police department. Of the 68 department members, 43 are sworn officers. The department operating budget is 6.5 million. Work is performed under the general administrative direction of the City Manager. The minimum salary for the position is $87,755.20 and is negotiable based on qualifications. Residency in the City of Bartow is preferred.
Knowledge & Abilities:
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of modern police administration and crime prevention, including knowledge of police records and their application to the solution of police problems.
· Knowledge of controlling laws and ordinances and the standards by which the quality of police service is evaluated.
· Knowledge of the organization and functions of the City departments and of County, State and Federal law enforcement, regulatory and licensing agencies.
· Knowledge of effective management practices, and the ability to plan, assign, direct, supervise and provide strong leadership to the department.
· Extensive Knowledge working with labor attorney/union
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City officials, the media, and the public; ability to establish and maintain good public relations.
· Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing, and to make good quality decisions.
· Ability to assess, select and promote quality people, and make decisions regarding complaints, terminations, and other disciplinary actions.
· Ability to develop annual budget proposal and controls budgeted expenses;
· Attends meetings and serves on committees, boards and agencies related to promoting crime prevention and improving law enforcement; attends City Commission meetings;
· Evaluates work of subordinates;
· Performs related tasks as required.
Education and Experience:
A combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in law enforcement, public administration or related field.
· Ten (10) years in law enforcement; three (3) years of which must have been at the level of Chief or Command Level Position in a comparable department.
Certification & License Requirements:
· Possession of Florida police certification or the ability to obtain certification within six months of hiring. Must meet and maintain all minimum state and local training and education requirements for position.
· Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
The City offers a generous benefits package including health, short term disability and life insurances. Police pension from date of hire.
Resumes and a cover letter must be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com no later than 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on June 27, 2021.
“The City of Bartow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer M/F. Minorities and Women are encouraged to apply.” Drug Free Workplace
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org